I'll start at the beginning. This morning after making the service groups Sister Abrams asked Reggie and I to lunch. WooHoo! Looking forward to some new conversations. So the whole congregation piled into three vehicles and off we went down Branch Road. It goes for about 12-15 miles. We worked sections and piled in and would drive down to the next section. I worked with Olinda today. She is around 20? There is something about her that reminds me of Tamara. Anyway I had a blast working with her. Reggie worked with Keenan and Adriane, both unbaptized publisher. These kids are fearless. I had to take a picture of Reggie getting stopped on the bridge. Is it a toll booth? What is the purpose of a gate on that little bridge? We don't take breaks here. You just go and go until it gets to hot. But today was a very tolerable day. So after service we went to Sister Abrams house with her two granddaughters. They live very close to the Kingdom Hall. You would think that in this climate people would have lots of fruit trees in their yard but they don't. But sister Abrams house is exactly what I imagined it would be like in Guyana. Like most houses it is up on stilts with cool outdoor space below with hammocks hanging and beautiful plants everywhere. She has every kind of fruit tree you can imagine. Guava, Passion, Star, bannanas, cherries, mangos, papaya, and more that I forgot the names because I have never heard of them before. So then the meal is served. A big beautiful bowl of soup. It had potatoes, dumplings, carrots, pumpkin, stew meat and I thought chicken legs. But after slurping up the wonderful stuff up floats not a chicken leg but a chicken foot. I could imagine it scratching throught the dirt hours earlier. I couldn't take my eyes off of it. She said it makes the soup have a good flavor and I had to agree with her. I didn't have a total aversion to it but still it seemed so foreign. You know like you ask yourself "Am I really eating chicken foot soup and liking it?" I had to answer yes. But probably wouldn't make it myself. Sister Abrams was very hospitable and we listened as she told us how she came in the truth. It was a very good story. On our way out she gave us some green mangos and showed me how to make juice. You grate it up and let it soak in water. Later strain it, add sugar and lime. She gave me some to try and it is so refreshing. We had a memorable day today. Reality hit when we got home. Laundry.
Now the house is clean and waiting for the Ramsey family to come over. We are going to do our WT together. I will post pictures of Olinda and I, Reggie on the bridge with the gate and Sister Abrams. Oh, and also of this woman who took the magazines and started reading them right away. Love to all, miss everyone but having a good time. R&K

We need a picture of the soup! Glad you guys are getting some comic relief in food and scenery. Keep having fun...
ReplyDeleteOh---I remember the chicken foot soup in Ecuador---. In mine the foot was right there on top, made it a little hard to eat.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good stories and pics.
YUM! Good thing it was on the bottom. :) Love the pictures, my fav so far is Reg crossing the bridge! Wish there was a discrete way to get service photos here. Stay cool and unbitten! Love, Mike
ReplyDelete